Escape rooms in Wrocław and all over Poland are being checked for safety following Friday’s tragedy in Koszalin, where 5 teenage girls died in a fire.
According to polandin.com, the Chief Commandant of the State Fire Service said the tragedy occurred due to the escape room having no “proper evacuation route”. Brigadier Leszek Suski also criticised the escape room’s use of candles and poor electrical insulation amongst other things.
Yesterday afternoon the man responsible for the escape room was charged with manslaughter.
“The preliminary inspection of the premises indicates that it is most likely the heating equipment was situated too close to flammable materials. We have also found candles in the room, so the probability of an open fire cannot be discounted. The electrical installation was laid in a makeshift manner”
Chief Commandant of the State Fire Service, brigadier Leszek Suski
The fire brigade arrived on the scene just 4 minutes after being called, and the 5 girls were evacuated after 15 minutes. However despite the best efforts of the emergency services, none of the teenagers could be saved. According to unofficial reports, the girls died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Prime Minister confirmed yesterday that the Polish Fire Brigade are in the process of checking every escape room in the country.
There are thought to be around 1,100 escape rooms in Poland, and as of yesterday lunchtime 178 of them had been checked. Worryingly, 128 of them did not follow the fire brigade’s safety requirements according to polandin.com. 13 of those had to be shut down as the fire brigade considered them far too dangerous.
Here in Lower Silesia 30 escape rooms have been checked, of which only ten fully followed all the safety requirements. One escape room in Jelenia Góra was also considered too dangerous to remain open.
At present there are no specific fire safety regulations for escape rooms in Poland as these leisure attractions are a fairly recent phenomenon. As a result, the escape rooms across the country have been categorised differently (e.g. entertainment / training). Following Friday’s tragedy, this will almost certainly change.