The Hotel Grand, previously known as Hotel Du Nord during the Breslau era, is now set to regain its glamour after a contract was signed to restore the building to its original state.
Built in 1903, when Wrocław was part of Germany, the Hotel Du Nord was one of the city's finest hotels at the time. The building was one of the first places passengers exiting the city's main station would catch a glimpse of.
When Wrocław became Polish territory after WW2, the hotel's name was changed to the Hotel Grand. The hotel did initially retain a degree of prestige and it was well maintanied by the regional communist hotel board. However the building's tower had been damaged during the war and over time the hotel's condition rapidly deteriorated to the point it became inoperable.
Now the Hotel Grand is set for a completely new lease of life following the announcement of a huge refit that has already been 2 years in the making. The restoration of the building is estimated to cost 60 million zł and it is hoped the hotel will open in 2020.
According to Piotr Wiak of Rafin, the firm in charge of restoration, the new Hotel Grand will be a 4 star hotel with 148 rooms, 24 suites and a rooftop bar. The hotel will also have conference facilities for businesses.
Rafin have already brought another two Piłsudskiego street hotels back to life – the European Hotel and Hotel Piast. The same company also have the task of renovating the Lotus hotel on Wita Stwosza street.
The renovation of the Hotel Grand forms a major part of the city council's plan to revitalise and gentrify Piłsudskiego street, which has lost out badly in the last decade or so to other areas of Wrocław.
The new building will also provide newcomers to Wrocław arriving by train with a much better 1st impression of the city.