In just 8 days time it will be one year before the World Games comes to Wroclaw. To mark the occasion, a number of special events are to take place in the coming weeks.
The eleven-day sporting event, which has previously been hosted in Cali, Duisburg and Kaohsiung, features sports that are not included in the Olympic Games.
Soon willing participants will have the opportunity to try their hand at various sports included in the World Games thanks to daily workshops held at Pergola and Plac Społeczny.
Other attractions in the programme include weekend events featuring representatives of sports from the World Games, which are to take place on the river Odra and in Park Południowy.
Among the names to spearhead these events are speedway rider Maciej Janowski (Betard Sparta Wrocław), professional kick-boxing champion Michał Turyński (Fighters Wrocław), sports aerobics specialist Jolanta Sobieraj (AWF Wrocław), Olympic silver medalist in rowing Paweł Rańda, karate champion Magdalena Nowakowska (Budokan Wrocław) and American football player Patryk Matkowski (Panthers Wrocław).
The grand final of the ‘One Year To Go’ programme is scheduled for 30th July, when a special stage at Plac Wolności will host a concert featuring Kortez, Xxanaxx, Bokka and Gromee. The concert, which is free of charge, is being organised in order to test out the square and learn lessons before it becomes home to the World Games fanzone next summer.
The full schedule, according to wroclaw.pl, is as follows:
Schedule of the 'One Year To Go' Programme:
- 22nd July – Workshops in sports included in The World Games – Centennial Hall/Pergola, 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- 22nd July – Opening Ceremony of the Youth Olympic Games in Summer Sports – Centennial Hall/Pergola, 8:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- 22nd July – F4 Semi-Finals of the European Champions League in American Football – stadium at ul. Oporowska. 1:00 p.m. Koc Rams vs. Milano Seamen; 7:00 p.m. Panthers Wrocław vs. Danube Dragons;
- 23rd July – Workshops in sports included in The World Games – Centennial Hall/Pergola, 10:00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.
- 23rd July – Media Day with Panthers Wrocław – Centennial Hall/Pergola;
- 23rd July – Premiere show of a multimedia fountain with TWG2017 themes – Centennial Hall/Pergola;
- 24th July – F4 Final of the European Champions League in American Football – stadium at ul. Oporowska, 2:00 p.m.;
- 26th–29th July – Workshops in sports included in The World Games – Plac Społeczny, 12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.;
- 30th July – Final of One Year To Go, Kortez, Bokka, Xxanaxx, Gromee; Pl. Wolnosci. The concert area will be open from 4:00 p.m. – entrance is free of change;
Schedule of the 'Exercise With Champions Of The World Games' Programme:
- 16.07 (Saturday) Michał Turyński (kick-boxing) – Park Południowy;
- 23.07 (Saturday) Michał Turyński (kick-boxing) – Centennial Hall/Pergola, Park Południowy;
- 31.07 (Sunday) Marta Wojtkowska (bule) – Park Południowy;
- 6.08 (Saturday) Jolanta Sobieraj (sport aerobics) – Park Południowy;
- 7.08 (Sunday) Magdalena Nowakowska (karate) – Park Południowy;
- 13.08 (Saturday) Magdalena Nowakowska (karate) – Park Południowy;
- 14.08 (Sunday) Marta Wojtkowska (pétanque) – Park Południowy;
- 20.08 (Saturday) Jolanta Sobieraj (sport aerobics) – Park Południowy;
- 21.08 (Sunday) Patryk Matkowski (American football) Park Południowy;
- 27.08 (Saturday) Patryk Matkowski (American football) Park Południowy;
- 28.08 (Sunday) Paweł Rańda (rowing) – harbour of the Wrocław University of Technology, ul. Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego;
Sports related to the TWG 2017 in Wroclaw
- 19th – 20th July – Panthers Wrocław – CH Magnolia shopping centre;
- 25th – 31st July – Polish Bowling Open – Sky Bowling;
- 31st July – 6th August – Junior World Championship Ultimate Frisbee – Mars Fields;
- 6th and 20th August – Days of TWG2017 – Aquapark;